HC DrugFree is pleased to partner with the HoCo FilmFest. Specifically, we are looking for film-savvy teens to create Public Service Announcements (PSAs) that focus on the effects of substance abuse of family and friends. Please visit www.hcdrugfree.org for additional information.
This year’s topic is: In the KNOW About the Consequences of Drug Use. Think about how drug use can have consequences for teens – now and in their future. KNOWledge is power, and we all need to be “In the KNOW” about drug use in Howard County.
30-120 seconds long
Appropriate for family viewing
Original concept or idea
The top PSA’s will be shown in their entirety at the HoCoFilm Festival on Friday, April 24, 2020 at 7:00pm at the Miller Library in Ellicott City.
Guidelines for HC DrugFree Entries
Intended Use of Winning Film: If the film is appropriate, the winner (and possibly several other entries) may run as PSAs on HC DrugFree’s website, at HC DrugFree programs across Howard County, in local media, and in other ways determined appropriate by HC DrugFree.
Deadline for Films: Friday, April 3rd, 2020 at 3:00pm
- Filmmakers must be high school students and live in Howard County.
- Film must be student directed, produced, and edited.
- Film length: 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- Film must be an original concept or idea.
- Film must be appropriate for family viewing. (i.e., no profanity)
- Languages suggested: English or Spanish.
- Target audience: Middle School and High School students and their parents.
- The HC DrugFree 2020 film category theme must have a focus on In the KNOW About the Consequences of Drug Use. Films should direct viewers to go to http://www.hcdrugfree.org and include the HC DrugFree logo and correctly spelled name.
- Film should include a title screen with HC DrugFree’s logo and “In the KNOW” in the title along with a catchy description about your specific PSA topic.
- The phrase, “In the KNOW” should be italicized when in writing and KNOW must appear in all uppercase letters.
- Submissions must include a closing title with HC DrugFree’s logo and contact information (www.hcdrugfree.org, 443-325-0040, and Admin@hcdrugfree.org). Be sure to allow final HC DrugFree contact screen to remain visible for at least 10 seconds, but no more than 30 seconds.
- The names of the student video team members should appear on the next to last screen and include school(s).
- All filmmakers entering the HC DrugFree PSA Category must agree to allow HC DrugFree to use their films as PSAs or promotional materials at no cost to HC DrugFree. Complete and sign the HC DrugFree “Video/Audio Recording Authorization and Release” form and include it in your submission package.
- Because this is public service announcement (PSA), if HC DrugFree’s logo and contact information is missing or inaccurate, the video will be disqualified from the contest. However, after the contest, HC DrugFree may request edits and permission to use the PSA.
- Submissions must meet all HoCo FilmFest Guidelines.
Winners will be announced on Friday, April 24 at the 2020 HoCo FilmFest at 7:00 p.m. at the Charles E. Miller Library in Ellicott City.
HC DrugFree is committed to keeping youth drug and alcohol free. We are proud partners with the Howard County Public School System, the PTA Council of Howard County, the Howard County Health Department, the Howard County Police Department, the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services, and the Howard County Library. For more information about use of PSAs, please contact Joan Webb Scornaienchi, Executive Director of HC DrugFree at 443-325-0040 or firstname.lastname@example.org.